Unidas Virtual Event On Generation Equality
– The event will be held in English –
3rd of December, 2020
An Unidas virtual event to discuss first ideas on how to engage in Generation Equality
In this online dialogue, members of the network for women and civil society organizations from Latin America, the Caribbean and Germany Unidas share their experiences and ideas for engagement in advocacy processes for gender equality. The aim is to discuss possible goals and paths for engagement in the Generation Equality campaign of UN Women.
Firstly, representatives from the Mexican Government and UN Women give an overview on potential collaborations and further interaction with regards to the Generation Equality process, with a particular focus on the Mexican Generation Equality Forum in March 2021. Then, Unidas members will present first ideas on how to participate in the process and have the voices of women`s rights activists from the region heard.
Moderation: Monika Remé, National Council of German Women’s organizations
- 4 pm CET Welcome notes
- 4:10 pm CET Frame and opportunities:
- Bettina Metz, UN Women National Committee Germany
- Ximena Mariscal, Director of International Affairs of the National Institute for Women (INMUJERES), Mexico
- 4:30 pm CET Q&A
- 4:45 pm CET Unidas members with first ideas:
- Juliane Rosin, Advocate - National Council of German Women’s organizations. Germany
- Ana Fontes, Social entrepreneur, RME- Rede Mulher Emprendedora and Instituto RME. Brazil
- Natalia Gherardi, Lawyer - ELA- Equipo Latinoamericano de Justicia y Género. Argentina
- 5:00 pm CET Open discussion and next steps
- 5:30 pm CET Wrap up
Context of the Generation Equality Forum
Within the framework of Generation Equality, UN Women mobilizes governments, civil society, the private sector, youth-led and international organizations to deliver on the promises of the Beijing Platform for Action. The focus is on women and girls who have been marginalized in the past and have had to wait long enough for equal opportunities. UN Women connects the next generation of activists with the women's rights activists who created the platform for action 25 years ago.
Partnering with UN Women, Mexico will host the first Generation Equality Forum in March 2021.
Focussing on six Action Coalitions, concrete goals and action will be designed to afterwards be officially announced in the second Generation Equality Forum in Paris in June 2021, hosted by France.
Key to the Generation Equality Process are newly build Action Coalitions: Each Action Coalition will launch a targeted set of concrete, ambitious and immediate actions within the period of 2021-2026 to deliver tangible impact on gender equality, and girls’ and women’s human rights.
- Gender-Based Violence
- Economic justice and rights
- Bodily autonomy, and sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR)
- Feminist action for climate justice
- Technology and innovation for Gender Equality
- Feminist movements and leadership
We are looking forward to welcoming you virtually on the 3rd of December, 2020!
Please check out your local time:
9am UTC-6 (Guatemala City, Monterrey, Managua) - 10am UTC-5 (Quito, Bogotá, New York) - 11am UTC-4 (Santo Domingo, Port of Spain, La Paz) - 12pm UTC-3 (Santiago de Chile, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro) - 4pm UTC+2 (Berlin)